By The Associated Press
One person died and 21 others were overcome by fumes yesterday in an apartment building off Central Park on the West Side, the authorities said.
A Consolidated Edison engineer at the scene said the toxic fumes were not natural gas but carbon monoxide fumes from a boiler flue in a five- story building at 4 West 103d Street.
The dead man was identified as Edward Banks, 50 years old, who lived on the building’s second floor, according to John Mulligan, a Fire Department spokesman. He said Mr. Banks died at Roosevelt Hospital of cardiopulmonary arrest associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Emergency Medical Service ambulances took eight people to Roosevelt; seven people, including two policewomen, to St. Luke’s Hospital, and six others, including two Medical Service specialists, to Metropolitan Hospital. Another specialist from the service declined medical attention.