Two men died and at least two dozen other people were hospitalized yesterday when carbon monoxide fumes filled an old apartment house in Los Angeles.
A man and woman who died in the building Sunday also were apparent victims of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The residents, police officers, firefighters and paramedics taken to nearby hospitals before the building was finally sealed yesterday were tentatively diagnosed as suffering from inhalation of the toxic fumes, which are colorless and odorless. Ten victims were admitted to Queen of Angels Medical Center. Most were in stable condition. The building’s owner said the tragedy may have been caused by a basement water heater.